Friday, April 18, 2008

A Tribute to Combat Arms Soldiers

My husband has many wonderful qualities. I bet you will all be surprised to know that he has a way with words and is quite a poet when he wants to be. He has written me poetry on occasion and I treasure every one. Yesterday, he emailed me this great poem, and dedicated it to all the combat arms soldiers.

Over the ocean and far, far away,

lies a place filled with sorrow and murderous craze


Encircled by evil in mayhem’s dark night,

are a group of young men filled with courage and might


They seek not for power or fortune or fame,

but honor and hope and freedom from chains


With courage of lions they ride out in the storm,

to bring justice to madmen who’s souls have been torn


In battle heroes fall and a lone bugle sounds,

the places they gave all are now hallowed grounds


While some men pity them and say ‘what a shame’

the warriors will know their brothers died not in vain


Where ‘ere they are needed to quash evil’s foul blight,

these young men of valor will rise up and fight!


5 comments:

A.Jean said...

Thanks for posting. Very powerful and insightful. Definitely a window into Shan's soul. I too love this man. Jean

Foote Family said...

Wow, what a beautiful poem and great tribute! He has a wonderful way with words, very talented.

Chelsea said...

Thanks for sharing, Marisa. Very special.

Anonymous said...

A very moving tribute. I'm so glad you posted it. Thank you Shan. Thank you Marisa.
Love,
Mom

jenae nae said...

MARISA LARSEN__ I HAVE FOUND YOU!!! It is your old love-- just kidding its me Jenae- how the crap are you? I am loving your kids and your blog- you have to email me i have been trying to find you and get a hold of you!
jenae@myway.com
my blog
www.ryanblanchrdfamily.blogspot.com