Sunday, May 4, 2008

Find Joy in the Journey of Life

Well this mama is a new woman! This past weekend, I was blessed to be able to attend BYU's Women's Conference with my sister, Jennifer. Our amazing mom took our children for three days. There were six kids under six years old! Not only did she survive, but the kids had a blast. They made cookies, went to the park, read stories, held contests, learned math, and played with play dough, chalk, and markers (a novelty for my kids- this mommy prefers crayons). Jennifer and I were totally impressed and extremely grateful!

Women's Conference was truly amazing. The speakers were so inspirational, the food was wonderful, and the company (Jen) was exceptional. We got to hear musicians like Hillary Weeks and Kenneth Cope, and even the Mormon Tabernacle Choir sang to us from the conference center in Salt Lake. At the closing session, we got to hear our beloved prophet, Thomas S. Monson. It was the first time I have seen him in person since he became the prophet, so that was special for me. We had a great time! Here are some of my favorite quotes from the weekend:

"If our lives are so busy, that we don't have time to worship, then something needs to change."--Sheri Dew

"Just say no to 'parent peer pressure' (So and so's kids do this...)." --Patti Freeman

"Driving your children to clubs, sports, and activities is not spending quality time together. What your children want is you. Not all recreation is of the same value. How we spend our leisure directly impacts the eternal salvation of our family." --Mark A. Widmer

"There is nothing more important for us to do than the work within our families. You can't decorate it, you can't put a theme to it. It's the hard work of every day consistency and good choices, hour by hour." --Julie Beck

"The windows of heaven are wide open for mothers who pray." --Leialoha Paongo Hingano-Pakalani

"Be careful when you desire things to be better for your children than they were for you. Don't unintentionally make things worse for them by removing the requirements of work that helped make you what you are. When you teach your children to work, to serve, and to sacrifice, you are giving them the greatest antidote to the plague of selfishness."-- Lucy Beutler

"Find joy in the journey of life." --Thomas S. Monson

Henry and I.

Nana Camp!

This one's for Shan. His favorite place at BYU!

6 comments:

Mimi said...

Nana, you are a saint. I can tell you right now I'm pretty sure I couldn't do what you did (all by myself). Awesome.

Love your quotes Marisa. Sounds like an inspiring time. So meaningful. You and Jen look darling.

Love
Peg

Foote Family said...

Thank you for the wonderful quotes! I'm sure the week was filled with so much inspiration and spiritual feeding. What a great Mom you have to take all the kids so you could have a great time with your sister!

About the buffalo, what a strange sight and you got a picture! I remember when we were driving from UT to VA I saw a lady with a snake around her neck, but I wasn't quick enough to take a picture. I'm glad you had such a great time!

Jill T said...

That picture of Nana camp looks sooo fun! What a great shot! And women's conference sounds wonderful too! Thanks for sharing the quotes for those of us who didn't go!

A.Jean said...

The comments are wonderful and food for thought. Then there's Nana's Camp--------Wow, we did our two kid day and I now feel like a slacker. MaryAnn, you're the best and I have endless respect for you. Bill and I do a tag team thing with the kids and we're wore out by the end of the day. Hope you put your feet up when the Mom's returned. Kuddos Nana. Jean

Anonymous said...

Great quotes. I'm jealous that you got to go to the conference. What a great way to spend time.

And did Jennifer change her name to Henry? (caption)

Marisa said...

Henry is one of my pet names for Jen. It started years back, and we laugh our heads off every time. Some others include, Neb, Nebra, Debra, and Hen. We're nuts.