Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Just Say No to Absurdity

Let me be clear about one thing: If you have breast implants, I love you. If your breasts are naturally small, large, perky, flat, pointy, droopy, or lopsided, I love you. That's just it! I am no respector of breasts. But I am totally perplexed at how many women I see everywhere who are so dissatisfied with their own set of naturally beautiful breasts, that they would pay thousands of dollars for someone to insert silicone underneath their skin.

My last post made lots of people uncomfortable, I know. I even had one person comment, "I can't believe you would put that on your blog!" So why is it okay for so many women to get breast implants- simultaneously sending a message to the rest of us that ours are unnaceptable- but not okay for a woman to vocalize a preference for going natural? Personally, I have always been happy with mine so this is not about my personal issues. When I'm in the best shape I can be, I'm an A+ at best. When I'm pregnant, I'm a glowing C and while I'm nursing, there's no way I can wear a button-up shirt. After I finish nursing, however, I think my breasts actually deflate completely. I think these extraordinary female processes are not only acceptable, but totally and completely perfect. You cannot improve on them!

I used to blame men for society's absolute obsession over the "perfect" woman's body. But now I realize, we don't need to pin this on them. We're pretty good at holding ourselves to an unnatainable standard all on our own. Really, if we're buying into the absurdity, comparing ourselves to the computer-generated model on the cover of Cosmopolitan, or the lady at the pool with breast implants, we only have ourselves to blame. Beautiful woman after beautiful woman is undergoing surgery to become something that is simply unattainable...perfect.

Let's just say you decide to get breast implants. Do you really think having a larger set of breasts is going to help you feel better about yourself? Because I'm here to tell you that although you might think it is, the size of your breasts is absolutely not the issue. First it's your breasts, then you need a tummy tuck, lyposuction, a face lift, a little botox and then you realize you're still not happy. Give me a break! How about doing the work it takes to be not only physically fit, but mentally and emotionally fit. Let's work out these crazy ideas and stop comparing our weaknesses to other people's strengths. It starts with honesty. Honesty about what we portray to others through our appearances, our blogs, our church behavior, our perfectly detailed homes, our achievements, our designer clothes, our children. How about we all start being honest about not being perfect and in turn forgive each other for it? Let's just love each other anyway.

This isn't just about getting botox and breast implants. These types of self damaging beliefs lead women all over the world to anxiety, bulemia, anorexia, self doubt, depression, addictions and the likes. Absurd, I tell you! It is very rare that a woman who is physically fit also has large breasts. Since about 1/3 of the breast is made up of fat, the more fat a person carries, the larger their breasts will be. Duh. So why is it the "ideal" to be absolutely rail skinny, with large breasts? I hate to break it to you ladies (and men), but that is just not reality. The more women who are proud of our fantastic bodies exactly the way they are, the better. At the very least, get a push up bra. At the very most, forget the push up bra, and join millions of other women who know they are gorgeous just the way they are. Join my revolution and just say no to absurdity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XegOczOvfXY

And as Wesley on Princess Bride says, "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in the world. T'would be a pity to damage yours."

11 comments:

A.Jean said...

I just wrote a comment and it went poof. For now, I too say, "No to absurity. Great subject on many levels. I don't find a single point that I disagree with. You go girl.

More later. Love from the farm, Jean

Peggy said...

Wow!!!!!!!!!!! Bravo!!!! Here! Here! That was fantastic. I am stunned. I like to think I could express myself that well. But, alas, that was too perfect. You speak for many of us who do not understand the widespread practice of the cutting and pasting of women's bodies (with the exception of deformities or reconstruction).
Thank you for your honesty. I couldn't agree more.

Chelsea said...

AMEN SISTER! Marisa, in my dreams I am you. A brave, honest, kind, real person who has the guts to just tell it like it is.

Marisa said...

Peg, thanks for bringing up the issue of reconstruction or deformities. I, of course, am totally on board with that kind of need. It is fantastic that we have modern medicine to help those women.

Jade said...

Totally! Well said.

Mom said...

Hi gals!
Can I just say that I LOVE THE GRIMMIUS WOMEN!!!
You are truly the most supportive and loving in-laws a person could ask for. I love reading your messages to Marisa, and I love the fact that you love her like I do. (It looks like I love that love word a whole bunch...used it 7 times? ha!) She is one lucky girl.
And as for the breast thing, I'm with you, considering that mine are now a 36 long.
xoxoxox
MaryAnn

Jennifer and Jacob said...

Yep. Well said. I am glad my family is on board with what I believe. I can't say as much for the majority of my friends and associates. It is a disease I tell you and I will not succomb!

Peggy said...

MaryAnn!!!!!!!!!
You crack me up! You are hilarious. I LOVE you times 7.
Ahahahahahaha.
36 long! Ahahahahaha.

Love the kids you raised as well.

Foote Family said...

Yes, the world is obsessed with how an individual looks! I am convinced that the only way I could ever have a flat stomach is with surgery. Living in Japan, around Asian women that walk around looking like toothpicks, it is difficult not to compare yourself. I've struggled with body image for a long time. I am realizing that the important thing is that I am healthy. I need to be content with what God gave me and it is my responsiblity to take care of it!

Jill T said...

Well said Marisa. I agree. Women need to focus more on building their self-confidence rather than building or reshaping their bodies.

Cormorant said...

Love this post! I, too, blamed men for perpetuating this myth for so long, until I realized that women were just as much to blame since they are buying into this untrue "ideal." And I really like your bit on honesty: about your house, your kids, your spirituality, etc. Sometimes I get so frustrated after reading blog after perfect blog of my friends and their over-achieving kids or their fancy house. Why can't kids just be kids for a while? And why do I sometimes feel like the only one with a messy house? Anyway, with you I concur.