Sunday, April 25, 2010

Seft Portrait

This is seriously scary. When we were at my mom's during Easter, she pulled out this self portrait I drew when I was in first grade. I am horrified. I mean, I knew I was a poor artist, but this is completely off the charts. The sad thing is, right when I saw it, I remembered drawing it and thinking it was pretty. Jabba the hutt herself.
Our teacher asked me to write things about myself- each one starting with a letter of my name (Marisa Ann) and here is what I wrote:
My dad's name is Mark.
A good speller.
Really nice to people.
I like to swim.
Sings terribly.
A good student.
Apples are my favorite fruit.
Never gets in trouble at school.
Neat at home and at school.

I showed this disaster to Emma (who is also in First Grade) for laughs and she thought is was great! (I love how my kids love me unconditionally. I will not welcome the day when they think everything I do is lame.) So, Miss Emma decided to make her own self portrait:
Here is what Emma had to say about herself (she didn't do the letter thing):
I am mostly cheerful
My favorite fruit is bananas and apples
My mom's name is Marisa
My dad's name is Shan

I think we can all agree that Emma (thank heavens!) does not take after me in the artistic department. How cute is her picture?

8 comments:

A.Jean said...

Marisa, you kill me. I love both pix and they're great. Love the detail. You were in the 1st grade for crying out loud. I can't believe your mom has stuff saved from wwwwaaaayyyy back then, lol. Poor Ty, one kid and there's very little stuff. A baby blanket that's on the forth kid, althought Vance still considers it to be his and it's always on his and bed. Carrie's mom has stuff from way back too. Love this post.

Peggy said...

Well, your six yr. old rendition is "heads and shoulders" above mine. You can see that you have ability. I love how your face just melts into your body. I have one I did in the fifth grade that would make you weep. Wish I could find it and post it. I gave myself blue eyes because they were better than green. And lots of eyelashes.
Emma's is adorable and I must admit, she is very talented. I would like a copy if possible.

Claire said...

LOL!!

Jennifer and Jacob said...

That was entertaining. Emma has got talent!

Fowler family said...

What a funny picture! And such a keepsake. Love it that your daughter drew her own rendition of her mommy. Happy Mother's Day!

HegstromPrattFamily said...

I like both works of art, and I LOVE that Emma wanted to do what you had done. What a lovely thing to have a daughter!

HegstromPrattFamily said...

P.S. I like your self-portrait lips.

Chelsea said...

I love this post. Your drawing is 100% fabulous and made me laugh out loud! I think I drew something similar in fourth grade and I remember thinking it was pretty dang good. It's funny what we find attractive when we are young.