Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Hiking in Zion Canyon

A few weeks ago, I took the kids down to Southern Utah to see Zion Canyon for Spring Break. They were totally impressed! They loved the tall walls and the occasional waterfall and the red, red rocks. And even though I've seen it dozens of times, the sheer beauty of that canyon was once again totally inspiring. Usually my heart hurts as I watch my kids grow up. I'm staring at the potty seat and knowing that I need to get rid of it, but not really wanting to. (Don't get me wrong- potty training is not my favorite part of parenting!) But it's hard for me to admit that the baby stage is over. There is nothing like the smell of breast-milk breath, and the shudder of a sleeping newborn as she lays on your chest.
Well given all that, our trip to Zion was an eye opener as to what fun older kids can be... no diapers to tote along, no naps to take, and everyone walked on their own! We hiked the Riverside Walk, which is admittedly the easiest hike in Zion, but still, they all walked on their own... and had fun!! I didn't have to carry anyone. I just got to enjoy myself and watch them do the same. The Riverside Walk follows the river and so we stopped to play in it many times. Miss Madeline loved throwing the rocks, and once again, everytime she bent over, her little bum showed. (For those of you who aren't up on our quirks, Madeline cannot keep her pants up... I think her bum crack is honestly higher than most. She must have weird parents or something.)



3 comments:

Peggy said...

Love the Zion hike pictures and all the thoughts you wrote (with which I concur and identify)! Little Maddie and her cute behind, Emma and that gorgeous smile, and Ryan! As I scrolled his picture up I could not believe how much he resembles Shan! It's the first time I've really seen it so clearly! It's like looking at my little boy again.

A.Jean said...

Looks like a grand adventure and yes, there are grand advantages of kids that can get to and from on their own two feet. Love the butt crack pic and can only speak to the one we see the most, Miss Zoie's. She needs suspenders like Pa's. Well, that excludes Vance who loves the freedom of the farm and being able to water the outdoors. This means that as soon as he feels the pressure, the pants are on the way down and amazingly he hasn't crashed and burned on his way down stairs or actually jumping off the deck with his pants around his ankles.

Foote Family said...

Olivia has the same problem with her pants. I guess it's good that she is obsessed with wearing dresses. Zion is beautiful! We'll have to take the kids there again when we go to see my mother-in-law in St. George. I too am struggling to get rid of the baby things that Evan is growing out of.:(