Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Ode to the Swagger Wagon

It's official. We have acquired 100 thousand miles on the Sienna. I was so glad that Shan pulled out his phone to snap a picture (in the middle of the night on our way to Oregon) and capture this moment of greatness.
These 100,000 miles have been filled with singing (and arguing about who is singing and who should or should not be singing); finishing up breakfast on the way to school; running errands with toddlers in tow; being lost in the middle of nowhere; hauling camping gear; going to DisneyWorld; shuttling family to and from airports; driving across the country, not once, not twice, but three times; meandering through the Appalachian mountains; screaming through Kansas just miles ahead of a terrifying tornado; and hauling bikes, diaper bags, strollers, golf clubs, suitcases, Christmas trees, science projects, folding tables, chairs, beach gear, Christmas presents, PTA bake sale food, and furniture (thank you 'stow and go' seating). These miles represent close to a thousand trips to the grocery store and a zillion bags of groceries (thank you grocery hooks). They represent hours of laughter, tears, listening to books on tape, rockin' out to music, and great conversation. To me, they are trying to nurse a baby in the back seat on long road trips; passing out a million wet wipes; buckling and unbuckling those car seats and boosters (thank you tether hooks); trepidatiously carrying sleeping babies into the house; vacuuming out sand, cheerios, and goldfish; and washing it down in the driveway with the juvenile work staff in bathing suits.
We've had to pull over for a vomiting car-sick child, to change dirty diapers, and twice when one of the kids dropped an entire cup of lemonade on the floor (thank you spill-resistant mats). We've spent hours playing "I Spy" and "Slug bug" and "Trivia." We've pulled trailers and boats, and the car top carrier has been a frequent accessory. Once when we were lost, we spun around on the road, and two year old Emma referred to our "U-turn" as a "W-Twist." For these great times and so many more, I heart the Sienna.
I love how the Sienna is equipped with 12 thousand cup holders, and how in our van, every single one of them is filled with napkins, chapstick, change, toys, hair elastics, maps, and trinkets, so I still have no where to put my cup until I remember the pull-out cup holder in front. Genius.
Actually, I think Toyota should put me on their payroll, since I have successfully encouraged 4 friends to purchase a Sienna. Recall nothing. We love you Toyota!
Given my feelings, you can imagine my sheer delight at this:

Plenty more for your laughing pleasure on Youtube.

6 comments:

A.Jean said...

I totally agree that the Sienna is an awesome kid, lumber, grocery haulin' machine. Ours isn't as experienced as yours, but next to my '64 SS, it's the best vehicle we've ever owned.

Peggy said...

I love your write up in praise of the glorious Sienna. It's the most comfortable car I have ever ridden or driven in. Thousands of miles and nary a backache. The only car I can actually sit in the back and not get car sick! The list goes on.
You got it completely right. I love thinking of all the memories made in yours as well as ours. GO TOYOTA!

Chelsea said...

Ahhhh, Marisa you are making me so jealous! You know I've wanted a minivan since before I even had kids. They are the essence of practicality and I LOVE THEM. I'm so happy for you guys. And I love this post -- details of your life in the van. So great.

Cormorant said...

Ha ha! I love those swagger wagon commercials. So hip! ;)

the Sayler's said...

I had never seen a swagger wagon commercial - too funny! congrats on the first 100,000 miles of life...keep on truckin'

Rachel said...

This is probably the best hip hop video to date. Snoop would agree I'm sure. Truly, they are so hip. Now I want one.