Friday, July 16, 2010

So much to be grateful for...

So Shan had been in Washington D.C. for a month-long Contracting Course. I decided enough was enough so I went to visit him for a few days and we were able to have fun together and catch up with lots of old friends. (Thanks mom and Jen for taking the little ones!)
The first day at Ft. Belvoir, I was able to veg by the edge of the Officer's Club pool, overlooking the Potomac River. I happened to look up and see a bald eagle soaring in circles above us. All on the 4th of July weekend... what?!
There is nothing like being in D.C. for the 4th of July weekend. After seeing the monuments at night for the first time, and touring the Holocaust Museum with a dear friend, my heart was full. I was really humbled and grateful. Our Nation is so amazing, and no one can ever tell me otherwise. If you need a reminder, just study a little American History.



Friends Barr and Marci were fantastic dinner hosts and showed us the town. Thanks guys!

Then, we were able to drive down to my favorite place on earth, (North Carolina) and spend some time with dear friends. Rebecca is a sister to me.

And if that weren't enough to fill me to the brim, we were also able to spend an evening with more dear friends, Jennifer and Brandon, and their darling family. Jenn and I spent the next day touring the Holocaust Museum, eating at the most amazing restaurant, Founding Farmers, and taking in Iwo Jima. It was such a wonderful time, and I am still thinking about it.
Jenn and I were next-door neighbors at Ft. Bragg during our very first military experience. I had no idea the Lord would put such a lovely person right next to me, but we are lifelong friends because of it. She's helped me through deployments, kidney stones, and even watched the two older kids in the middle of the night when I was in labor. And she is the best cook on earth, so I always know where to go for a good recipe.

And these are her two little darlings, James and Lily. They stole my heart.

8 comments:

Jennifer and Jacob said...

Such beautiful pictures at night! Thank you for sharing your experience. I loved watching your kids!

Cormorant said...

What a great place to spend 4th of July! Looks like you had a great time.

Jade said...

Marisa, you look so beautiful. I miss you guys. I hope this last year at BYU is good for you both and that being the MBASA president is not too overwhelming.

A.Jean said...

So glad you were able to head East to spend time with Shan and for the 4th. Wow. Then to NC, a place that rates very high in you heart. Your pix are spectacular. Luv you.

Foote Family said...

I can't believe you were here in NC and didn't call!!! Shame on you!:) D.C. is beautiful, especially the monuments at night. We were up there the weekend after the fourth visiting my sister who lives in the area. I'm glad you had a good time.

Marisa said...

Elizabeth! I know! Both Shan and I lamented not having more time there so we could see you too! I'm so sorry it didn't work out. Next time! And I hope it's soon!

Peggy said...

What a wonderful visit. I'ts so fun to see Jennifer's kids. Love the photo of you and Rebecca. The D.C. experience was amazing.

Unknown said...

Hi! I LOVE visiting your blog...and what a surprise to see your visit posted! LOVE the pictures! We got your little treat in the mail last week...THANK YOU! I'm enjoying the book right now. Lots of love!!!