Monday, November 22, 2010

Occupation Day

Emma decided she wanted to dress up like a Scientist for "What-You-Want-To-Be-When-You-Grow-Up day." Her favorite thing to do is explore nature, dissect something, or collect insects, flowers, rocks etc. She also loves to take notes about what she observes. Once I found a notebook where she had written her observations about a low-hanging icicle and she described it with words like "cold, glittering, hard, smooth, wet." And another time I found a notebook that she had used while "spying" on me while I was making dinner. It said: "Likes to cook, answered the phone, wearing a ponytail and earrings." Not only does she love to learn, but she is a natural whiz, so we think she would make a perfect Scientist someday.Note the sparkly purple feather pen. She was super excited about her costume until her teacher made her put her props in her desk (so they wouldn't "be a distraction") and some boys said she must want to be a Nerd when she grows up. The same boys soon had everyone on the playground calling her a nerd and the poor thing came home in tears. So at the age of 7, my daughter learned that it's no fun to be smart (something I did my best to rectify). Everyone thought the girls who dressed up like rockstars were so "cool." Yeah- it's this sort of thing that really makes me want to homeschool.

4 comments:

A.Jean said...

Emma, you ROCK. I love that you THINK out of the box. One day, when you are a famous Scientist, the loud mouthed kids will remember when they were "goof balls" and tried to distract you from "being great." We need more smart scientists and fewer rock stars and loud mouthed peanut gallery yappers. I love you.

Chelsea said...

Oh my gosh, stuff like this makes me crazy! Emma, you are so awesome! I love that you have a desire to learn and that you work hard. It's so wonderful! Keep it up!

Claire said...

That's what you call socialization...

Peggy said...

Power through sweet Emma. Aunt Jean and Aunt Cchelsea are dead on. Pity the poor dolts who think rock stars are something to aspire to. So passe'!
Please please PLEASE be a nerd! Your Mimi has learned in her old age that nerdom is the ultimate "cool".