Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Gordon Bitner Hinckley

Gordon Bitner Hinckley
June 23, 1910-Jan 27, 2008

Our beloved Prophet passed away last week at the age of 97. As he led our church for more than 12 years, he inspired us all to be a little kinder and "stand a little taller." He had a knack for communication and a passion for building temples. He created the Church's Perpetual Education Fund. His wit and humor were charming and his smile was contagious.

I had the privilege of meeting the Prophet and his wife, Marjorie Pay Hinckley, while working in the KBYU newsroom in the top of the Wilkinson Center at BYU in the winter of 2000. He came for a tour of the facilities and I was lucky enough to be in the newsroom at the time. In fact, just a few months ago, as I browsed my BYU Magazine, I saw a picture someone must have taken during his visit, showing the Prophet, his wife, and ME in the background!!! I was so happy someone documented on film one of the most special experiences in my life. The goodness of President Hinckley, the passion he had for life, and especially his genuine love of all people has truly inspired me personally.

This beautiful photograph of President Hinckley was taken by Boyd Ivey at a BYU football game. President Hinckley was there to honor coach Lavell Edwards by re-naming Cougar Stadium "Lavell Edwards Stadium." You can order a copy from Boyd at his website.

Glen Beck offered his touching tribute here.

And today, I received an email slide show of the Prophet's funeral.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Marisa. Thanks so much for the tribute to President Hinckley. I loved the slide presentation.
Precious and uplifting.

Love
Peg

Jill T said...

Thanks for sharing the slideshow. It's been a memorable week!