Sunday, February 24, 2008

Some of our Favorite Books

Ok, this post is for all mothers (ME!). I love to read. I always have. As a young child, I remember hours and hours upon our brown and orange plaid couch reading with my mother. That was the beginning of my love of children's books. I started collecting them long before I even had children! Like many of you, I'm highly motivated to get my children to fall in love with reading. It's been so fun to watch Ryan learn to read this year as a whole new world has been opened up to him. It's also SO nice for him to be able to read to his sisters!

Anyway, it seems many of the new children's books are too simple. Anyone concur? Usually, they have good pictures, but the story leaves something to be desired. When I was growing up, I remember many books with a great story line. We read our books over and over and I have actually found that my children love the OLD books- the same books I grew up with. Of course, there are also some newer books we love. I'm posting a list of some of our favorites in hopes that you will all add yours. Once I get the list compiled, I will post it for everyone to use!









(This whole series is fabulous.)

(The counterpart series.)


Easter isn't the same without this fabulous read.

If you're lucky enough to find this one, it will be a prized possession. I went crazy on ebay a few years back and scooped some up for our family.




The Visit
by Joan Esley and Eloise Burns Wilkin (and pretty much every book illustrated by Eloise Wilkin- The New Puppy, We Help Mommy, My Goodnight Book etc.)

8 comments:

A.Jean said...

Marisa, thanks for the suggestions. I'll make a list for Gramma Alice. She always loves the book sections at the thrift stores and keeping her busy is a good thing. We picked up a new baby last night, the four legged kind. I have a couple pix posted. She's a real sweetheart, but since she, along with Penny will be making the trip to CA, AZ next month, Gramma has expressed that maybe this isn't a trip for her. Oh well, it is what it is. We'll see how it plays out, ha. Baby Preston is a doll. Appears life out your way is grand. I love all of you, GA Jean

Stacie Tew said...

We love to read and can barely stay in books. Here are some of our favorites:

Alice the Fairy by David Shannon (also Bad Case of Stripes, same author)

Fancy Nancy by Jane O'Connor

What are you so Grumpy About? by Tom Lichtenheld

ANYTHING by Bill Peet (as in, all his books)

The Happy Hockey Family by Lane Smith
and its sequel, The Happy Hockey Family Moves to the Country-- a must read as it takes place in our very town and describes to a t our lives. Its good to laugh at yourselves...

Chrysamthemum by Kevin Henkes (and Wemberly Worried, Owen, Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse, etc.)

And two for mom:

Fanny's Dream by Caralyn Buehner

Before I was Your Mother by Kathryn Lasky

These are just from the top of my head. I'll think of more....Happy reading.

Stacie

justLorie said...

One of our FAVORITE books is
I Love You Stinky Face by Lisa McCourt. This story is about a little boy wanting nothing more than his mother's reassurance that she would love him even if he was a super smelly skunk and all of the horrible things he can imagine. The pictures are not scary though.
But my favorite children's book is William's doll, by Charlotte Zolotow. William wants a doll more than anything but everyone picks on him, but Grandma sets everyone straight. Of course my husband rolls his eyes when I read it to the kids.

Marisa said...

Thanks for the suggestions, ladies. We too, love Fancy Nancy and I Love You Stinky Face. We will be checking out the rest ASAP!

Jill T said...

Yes, Fancy Nancy is a classic. The sequel is cute too, Fancy Nancy and the Posh Puppy.

We also love King Bidgood's in the Bathtub by Don and Audrey Wood (also theirs, The Napping House and Piggies)

Piggie Pie is fun too. I know we have others, but I'm having a brain freeze right now...I can't wait for the list!

Anonymous said...

Great minds...
Books books and more books. No greater treat in the world than a good book. My grandkids are VERY fortunate to have a mom who knows this. Thanks for the list. Your favorites are my favorites.
Love
Mimi

Cormorant said...

For my friend-baby-shower for Ava, I decided to have a Book shower and get lots of fun children's books. I was showered with great ones. And speaking of Don and Audrey Wood, I love the illustrations in Piggies! I'm also a HUGE fan of David Small's illustrations in The Library and The Gardener.

Sandra said...

I'm LDS, love Mere Christianity and Pride and Prejudice. Also need to go over your childrens books again. Although mine are to young. My Goodnight Book? Is that about the animals being put to bed on the farm?