Monday, March 31, 2008

Cousin Matching Game

This post is for Jill, since I heard you wanted more information about the fun little game we created at Easter. It was really so easy! Basically, we just took a picture of each cousin, printed two small copies using iPhoto, mounted them on cardboard coasters, and laminated them with clear contact paper for durability. For the game box, I found some small, square, sturdy, cardboard-type boxes as Michael's for about $2. The kids colored on them and wallah, we had our own cousin matching game!

Playing the game is actually more fun for the kids than I had imagined. Caleb made a funny face for his picture, so every time the kids turn his picture over, they burst out laughing. And they are all squeals when they turn their own picture over or get a match of a "favorite" cousin. It's really cute.

I got one set of coasters from Chilis, when I was there a few months ago. I had been thinking about making a matching game with the kids' pictures and was trying to decide if I should use cardboard, or card stock, or what. Then, I saw their coasters (the drink kind) and I thought they were perfect! Our waitress was kind enough to give me some, although I offered to pay her. She got a good tip. Then, I realized I needed more for the other families, so the next time I went out to eat, it was Olive Garden, and they gave me some of theirs! Chilis has square coasters, Olive Garden has round ones. We ended up covering the backs of the Olive Garden coasters with patterned contact paper, since there were pictures of alcohol on them. After we finished, I realized that we probably could have purchased an inexpensive matching game and just used those game pieces, adding our own pictures. However, it would probably be just as easy to use card stock. Especially if you're going to laminate them because it makes them stronger. No matter what you decide to use, you want the backs of each card to be identical so the game really works. Let me know if you decide to do it- I'd love to hear how it works for you!

4 comments:

Jill T said...

Marisa-
What a fun idea! Maybe we'll have to do this this summer for the Tew family reunion, since we'll ALL be together! I know my kids would love it! Thanks for sharing the details!

Jill

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! Zoie loves her family and relatives, even if she has only met them once. I just might have to try this. Was it easy to laminate them? What did you use?

carrieschool@comcast.net

Thanks!

Rachel said...

Oh my gosh! You NEVER cease to be brilliant! I'm totally copying this idea...you genius you!

Preppy Mommy said...

This is such a cute idea - we have lots of cousins,too! I am going to have to copy. I was just surfing the blogs, and I stumbled across yours and have to say your kids are precious - and I am assuming your dear husband is deployed?? We will keep him (and all the troops) in our prayers...as a mom I can't even imagine what your daily life must be like - you are very brave, more brave than I could ever be, I think. Sorry I'm rambling, it's late here...
God Bless you and your family!