Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Thank you Ms. Walters

So today was the first day of school for Ryan and Emma. (We have chosen to do year round school here, which gives us 9 weeks in school, and then a 3 week break repeated throughout the year, with a 6 week summer break between grades.) Not only was it the first day of school, but it was Emma's first day of Kindergarten. We were sitting in the doctor's office a few days ago and when the nurse asked her how old she was, I was completely schocked when she said "five" and realized it was true. I don't know where the time has gone. But let me tell ya, Emma is 5 going on 25. She was too ready for school. She's been talking about and planning her first day of Kindergarten for at least two years now.

It was me who was a wreck. It's honestly excruciating to turn over my most precious goods to someone else and then turn around and walk away. Emma's teacher is the same kindergarten teacher Ryan had, so we know her very well. She's a wonderful teacher, but still, does she know how wonderful my child is? She handed me this poem this morning and told me to have a great day. Once I got in my car, I could barely read it through the tears.

The First Day

I gave you a wink and a smile
As you entered my room today.
For I know how hard it is to leave
And know your child must stay.
You've been with her for five years now
And have been a loving guide,
But now, alas, the time has come
To leave her at my side.
Just know that as you drive away
And tears down your cheeks may flow
I'll love her as I would my own
And help her learn and grow.
For as a parent, I too know
How quickly the years do pass
And that one day it was my turn
To take my child to class.
So please put your mind at ease
And cry your tears no more
For I will love her and take her in
When you leave her at my door.

6 comments:

Chelsea said...

Sweet poem. I know it's going to be super hard for me when Henry goes to school! I hope he has a great teacher like Emma's.

A.Jean said...

I'm thinking Emma is in good hands. What a beautiful poem. It's thoughtful and touches on all the important emotions. Ms Walters is a very special teacher. Jean

Jennifer and Jacob said...

Now you have me crying. Only a few more weeks and Ethan is going too. There is already an iron fist squeezing my heart....sniff sniff.
p.s. Ryan's haircut looks GREAT!

Foote Family said...

Yes, I know exactly what you mean. Ryan will be headed to second grade, but my Miranda is now officially out of elementary school and headed to the intermediate school for 4th grade. Where has the time gone?! Before I know it she will be in junior high and the others will be right behind her. Enjoy your one on one time with Madeline!

Peggy said...

I'm crying like a baby. Wow. What a perfect and reassuring poem. Sounds like Emma is in good hands.
I think my kindergarten teacher's poem went likr this:
"Drop her off, don't look back,
She's mine now,I'll give her a whack."

Marisa said...

Peggy, you crack me up. I love you!