Friday, July 4, 2008

Freedom Is Not Free

I've been terrible at posting lately because I LOST my camera! I am so sad about it, but I will try to get another one soon. I don't have a picture for this post, but I wanted to share my gratitude for this great country today.

It is so bittersweet to be celebrating our independence while Shan has been gone for over a year now. Sometimes I feel like sacrificing my husband for 15 months is just too much to ask, but then I see all the good things he is doing and the progress that is happening for the Iraqi people, and I know that the hard times are not in vain. Sometimes when I meet people and they find out my husband is in Iraq, they give me a glance of pity and apologize that he has to be gone. Some are surprised to find out that I wholeheartedly support the war effort as well as our troops and their families.

When I feel sorry for myself, I think about my friend Casey, who lost her husband Josh about one year ago. He was a chinook helicopter pilot and was shot down in Afghanistan. I saw her last week and she related to me the events and how heroic the other soldiers were to secure the area and keep coming in with more troops, even though they knew they were under fire. If the other helicopters would have left, the troops who were already on the ground would have been outnumbered. So they kept coming, and tried to save the crew from the helicopter that was already down. Unfortunately, there were no survivors. Josh was going to college when 9-11 happened and he dropped out of school to join the ARMY and fly helicopters. He was a patriot- a modern day hero. There are so many others like him and I salute every single one.

Today, I will see Casey, and many other friends who are military wives missing their husbands while we celebrate our freedom. And while I'm eating watermelon and carmel popcorn, I will remember them. I am so grateful.

4 comments:

Peggy said...

Thank you Marisa. That made me cry and cry and cry. I feel the way you do 100%. I am overwhelmed by the sacrifice of military service. I stand with you in honoring those brave ones and who live and die for our freedom as well as the freedom of others and the families that support them. Please give Casey our love and thanks and let her know she and her kids are in our prayers. I am so proud of you.
Love,
Peg

A.Jean said...

Marisa, this is a wonderful and beautiful tribute. Thank you for keeping things in focus for those of us that aren't on the "front lines", so to speak. I'm sure the military wives you spend time with, benefit from your warmth and caring nature. I love you.

Sorry to read about your camera. Bummer. Jean

Foote Family said...

Its great to be reminded of the sacrifices made everyday by the people we know. I know your family is blessed by the sacrifice you and your children are making. Keep your head up and know that there are many out there that are thankful for the service both you and Shan are making.

I'm sorry to hear that you lost your camera.

Jessica S. said...

That night you described about Casey & Josh - to date that has been the hardest day of Derek's life. Watching Josh and his other buddies die right before his eyes was agonizing - and he still wants to stay in the army, and still supports the efforts. Everyone is a hero in their own way.