Thursday, October 30, 2008

Get Out There and VOTE!!!

I voted. Not only did I vote, but I thoroughly researched the issues and the candidates before I did so. I don't mean to toot my own horn, but I am mortified at the people all around me-- the gym, the preschool, the church, the store-- who haven't sought out any information for themselves, but get their information from other people's opinions or political ads. Some people I have talked to don't even know if they are going to vote at all! One of the saddest things is how simple things like the rain affect how many people show up to vote. Throughout history, people would, have, and do kill for the right to vote and it is not something we should take lightly.
This is, no doubt, a treacherous time for Americans, and we cannot afford to be in the dark about the future of our country. Have we gotten so lazy that we can't even spend a few hours of our time to educate ourselves, and then get out there and vote?

It was less than a century ago that women in the United States couldn't vote. Most of our grandparents lived in that time. Thankfully, in America we have a democracy- where we can and do bring about well-deserved change.

Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Susan B. Anthony


I am so grateful for the opportunity I have to live in a country, which is not perfect, but at least gives people the chance to create change and progress and have a say in our government. If we don't want to help govern ourselves by being informed and active citizens, then we really can't complain about the people we allow to be voted into office. There are so many who have made this country the wonderful blessing that it is- The Founding Fathers, the troops throughout history, and active citizens everywhere. God Bless America.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree Marisa. Even though we vote by mail here in Oregon,(I miss going to the polls, rain or shine), my ballot is ready to go.
Doug

Cormorant said...

Thank you for that great reminder. I've gone twice to early voting and the line was 1.5 hrs long, so I keep going home and waiting for another day. I just need to stick it out! So much for avoiding long lines. I'm glad, at least, that people are getting out to vote!

Foote Family said...

I did my duty and sent in my absentee ballot to FL (yes, one of those battleground states) a few weeks ago. I am glad that we don't get hammered with ads as you do in the States. I have to admit that I was not entirely pleased with my choices this year, but voted for who I felt was most competent in accomplishing the task before him. It will definitely be interesting waking up Wednesday morning to see what transpired during my sleep!

A.Jean said...

I too, take my right to vote very seriously. Now I have to admit that way back I really didn't take the time to make an informed choice. Of course, my first absentee ballot was cast from Germany and we didn't get a lot of voter information. Barely something for president and local WA stuff was basically a shot in the dark. In the past I've taken a list along to the voting booth or planned too, but I've been left scrambling at the polling place on more than one occasion. Now, I have to admit I do like having my absentee ballot, my voters' pamphlet and laptop at hand, so I can cast my vote as planned. I'm of the belief, if you vote, you can complain or praise about what's happening in our government. If you don't vote, you should shut your pie hole. From the farm, Jean