Friday, October 24, 2008

Paradise On Earth

Shan and I just took a trip to Hawaii to celebrate our 10 year anniversary. We stayed in a rental house just across the street from Shark's Cove on the north shore of Oahu (pictured above).

First of all, the only reason we were able to take a long-awaited couple's vacation was because of Shan's mom, Peggy. She is the kids' Mimi and they had a blast with her while we were gone. I missed the kids a lot, but it was so good for me to realize that they are happy and fine without me. Shan's sister Chelsea and her son Henry, also came, for which we are so grateful. They left before we got back though, so I didn't get a good picture. Thanks guys.
Top 10 Things We Loved in Hawaii:


1. Our Mustang Convertible rental. It made all the drives, mountains, smells, and views just really spectacular.

2. Snorkling in Shark's Cove. We loved this place. It is absolutely full of beautiful tropical fish and we even swam with a big sea turtle each time we went.

3. Polynesian Cultural Center was awesome. The dancing, and the food were pretty amazing.

The luau.

4. Watching sunsets over the water almost every day.

5. Cliff jumping at Waimea Bay. Shan was brave. I did the little one.

Isn't the water sooo blue?

6. Our nature hike at Waimea Arboretum. It ends at a waterfall/swimming pool.

We couldn't get over how gorgeous and natural everything is. Trees, vines, flowers, tons of foliage- it just grows and grows and grows.


This is the falls. Any Lost fans recognize this from the scene where Kate and Sawyer jump in and take a swim?

7. Taking a boat out to Sunken Island in Kaneohe Bay. The view was amazing.



8. Our sunset drive up the moutains overlooking Honolulu. Wow.
9. Dole Pineapple Plantation. Have you ever seen a pineapple plant???

The pineapple sorbet was out of this world. If you look behind me, you can see a pineapple growing from the middle of the plant. It takes 18 months to grow one pineapple!

10. Playing golf on the waterfront course at Kaneohe Bay. It was so gorgeous. Shan did really well. I, um, hit the ball.... sometimes.



This military base isn't half bad. Right on the beach!

10 comments:

Chelsea said...

FABULOUS. I'm so glad you posted these! You look like you had such a great time and that makes me so happy. Hawaii really is the most beautiful place on earth. Cliche but true.

A.Jean said...

Thanks for the postings. So glad you two had a wonderful time. Hawaii is gorgeous. I had a nice talk with Peg after the kids were in bed on Tue. She was still laughing, which I took as a really good indication that she and the kids were doing well. Love all of you and so glad life is treating you well. Love from the farm, GA Jean

bakerfam said...

These pictures are amazing. It's so great that you guys did this for yourselves! Your making me want to start planning our ten year in a year and a half. See you soon.

Rachel said...

So wonderful!! I'm so glad you got to do that. Is it not so great to be alone with him?? Thanks for sharing!! You guys look great!

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous that you were just in Paradise! The pictures are fabulous and you two look so happy. We miss you and love you!

Jennifer and Jacob said...

So So great! I am living it through your pictures right now :)
I am going to appreciate the next pineapple I eat way more. I had no idea they took that long to grow! So glad you had that much needed retreat. Love you to death.

Foote Family said...

I'm so glad that you both were able to get away! We saw a lot of the same things when the kids and I went last summer. I guess you've got a small taste of life here on Okinawa, since many believe they are similar. I do love the pineapple that they have here it is delicious!! The PCC was fantastic and so was the luau, which just happens to be the same one you went to. Hopefully, it won't take another 10 years to get away!

Jill T said...

Congrats on 10 years! Just think how much you have done together (and apart) during those years! You deserve this dream vacation. Looks perfect!

familia Bybaran said...

What a well-deserved vacation. Looks like an amazing time and you both look great.

jenae nae said...

Marisa- that looks like so much fun. There is just something about hawaii that makes everything perfect huh? you guys look so happy and i am so glad shan is home!