Saturday, April 4, 2009

Historic Williamsburg

(This is one of my longest posts ever... if this bores you, just skip on... I had a little too much fun with the camera. Some of the pictures are out of order, but this post just took me too long!)

I was completely surprised the kids absolutely loved Williamsburg, Virginia... and we even went on a cold and windy day. We had no complaining and lots of happy kids as they learned about the way things used to be in the place where our country's independence from Great Britain began. Williamsburg was very inspiring for me and super interesting for the kids. The village is still run by tradespeople who really do sew by hand, print newspaper, make wigs etc. Great costumes and live performances. We highly recommend it!

Spoon at the silversmith's
Ready to print the newspaper- each tiny letter is a separate stamp and was handplaced.
Inking up the stamps.
Play outside the magazine
The millinery... every stitch by hand!
The wig shop.
The blacksmith is making a wheel hub for one of the carriages.
This guy shot his gun for the boys and that was the highlight for Ryan.

Ryan was so full of questions and totally into it.
cool knotty tree

Ryan and Bryce in the magazine.
I found my perfect table in one of the rooms off the courthouse... too bad it wasn't for sale. Hmmm, maybe Doug can recreate this for me?

I made it into a picture!

Fifes and drums
We got to feed the horses carrots and apples.

Courthouse table

Cobblestone

Blacksmith

9 comments:

A.Jean said...

Wow, looks like a wonderful day. I can see the interest on all the faces. Historical sites are a wonderful gift and I'm sure this trip will be long remembered. I loved sharing your family outing, via this wonderful site. Love to all.

This Life said...

Great post. Loved all the pictures!

Mom said...

What a dream trip, sweetie. It brings back great memories of a really special place. I'm so glad all of you got to go. What wonderful memories!
Love,
Mom

Foote Family said...

I'm glad you had a great time! We love Williamsburg. I should have told you about a shop there that sells fantastic sandwiches, The Cheese Shop.

Jennifer and Jacob said...

Your pictures were so great I feel like I was just there myself. What a beautiful town! I am glad you had fun, and I am super glad to see you in a picture :)

Kimsey Fam said...

We need to go there. Thanks for putting that post about the temple. That is beautiful and powerful. I love the Lord.

The Seaquist Family said...

So glad you had a great time. I have to admit...I'm shocked. Derek and I went there before kids and man were we BORED! Now grated, we found out I was pregnant with Christian 3 days before we left, so that put a real damper on our hot tub room. But I got to sit there with my toes in the water. Oh and did I mention my "all day" sickness kicked in where there. All I remember is a cool room with a million swords on the wall. Glad you had fun though.

Mimi said...

Those photos are absolutely fabulous. I love every one of them. What a great choice and educational opportunity for the kids. I can hardly stand how cute that picture of Maddie is.

Jade said...

Oh, that is so awesome. It makes me so excited for the day when our kids are old enough to have fun in a place like that. I love our country's history. These pictures are so great, they just bring a smile to my face to see the kids so happy. You look beautiful Marisa.