Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Shan is the Man

Shan has been training for an olympic triathalon for a few months now and Saturday was the big day. (It was also our 11th year anniversary, so I wonder if he did this to prove to himself that he still has "it," even after 11 years of marriage?) As for me, I haven't had "it" for a long time, but I will take credit for supporting his workout schedule, driving down to S.C. with the fam and getting stuck in a construction standstill on the freeway, waking three kids up in the wee hours of the morning, and keeping them mostly happy during a long day of very hot weather, including multiple trips to the port-a-potty with all of them (Madeline freaked out at that. She pretty much acted out how I feel when I have to use one of those things.), and all the while trying to keep them off the bike/run path, and be Shan's personal photographer! Phew. It makes me tired just to type it.
Back to Shan... Not only did he finish the race, he met his goal! I was totally amazed at all of the athletes. That is one tough course: 1 mile swim, 24 mile bike ride, and a 6 mile run.
The transition area
Shan had his own little cheering section. This is before the race started.

Start.
Swim.

Transition to bike.

Finishing the bike.

Starting the run.
Finish line and still smiling.

This is what we did while we waited in the hot South Carolina sun.


After the race was over, we all went for a swim in the lake to cool off.



I love this picture of Emma. She is so athletic. Maybe someday she will be a triathlete too.

7 comments:

A.Jean said...

Wow, impressive. Shan, I can barely make it across a pool, so a mile swim just knocks my socks off. The run. Well, running has never been very high on my to-do list. I did complete a 5 mile run with Bill and Ty while stationed at Ft Benning. No fond memories. I think I could still do the bike thing, as long as it's a road run. I commend you and your family for their support.

Cormorant said...

That's awesome! Olympic distance is tough, I've heard. I've only done a sprint distance. I can't wait to try the olympic distance some day; it's addicting!

Doug G said...

Way to go Shan. That is quite the feat....you have a great support group to cheer you on! Dad

Chelsea said...

Wow, that is so awesome! Good job Shan. I'm shamed. And jealous.

And Marisa, you rock for supporting this. I know what an effort that must have been. You probably burned as many calories as Shan.

Madeline's hair is so long and adorable! And Emma will DEFINITELY be a little triathlete. She's amazing.

Mimi said...

Shan, you da man! I'm really impressed. Way to go family. You're all beautiful.

Jennifer and Jacob said...

That is great. How did he keep all that a secret? I would have been telling everyone I know that I was cool :) Madeline's hair is so long and blonde. Can't wait to kiss those girls!

Jill T said...

Way to go Shan! (and Marisa:))