Sunday, August 23, 2009

Blueberries Galore

Meet Millie. She is so sweet. She and her husband, Peter, have owned this blueberry patch for decades. They are now in their 80s and still going strong! It is so cute to see them walking across the lawn holding hands...and I think they are in such good health because of all the blueberries. Shan used to pick berries for them when he was 12 years old, and every year we go back to get our year's supply. This year, Peg helped us pick and we came away with almost 50 pounds! We loaded up two coolers full and brought them back to Utah. We are now enjoying them by the cupful, on cereal, and in muffins. And I'm waiting for Shan to make me a blueberry cobbler. (hint, hint:)

(p.s. Don't miss reading 'Blueberries For Sal' to your kids. It is the best.)
After we pick the berries, we put them through a sorter to weed out the bad berries and the little stems.

This is a jasmine bush!!! And it makes for the prettiest "restroom" entrance ever. It emits the most amazing fragrance and you can actually smell it from across the yard. Makes me want to use the facilities just because.

5 comments:

Stacie Tew said...

You make me really miss Oregon! One of our favorite spots in the world is Oswald Beach... And who doesn't want 50 lbs. of blueberries... What a great time.

Cormorant said...

I LOVE the jasmine bush, and I love blueberries. My mom always told me that the day before I was born, she was eating blueberries and cream and that's why I had blue eyes and creamy skin. I thought that was such a magical story as a child! :)

This pregnancy, I tried the same and had blueberries for over two weeks. He didn't come for another week and his skin is more tan than creamy. I guess some magical things only really make sense when you're a child.

A.Jean said...

I've heard about this blueberry patch for years and I think this is the first time I've seen pix. Appears a bonus of a beautiful setting too. Millie is gorgeous. Kudos to Mille and Peter for keeping the patch available.

desertortoise said...

mmm, blueberries! And I can smell the jasmine now.

Rachel said...

Jasmine by a bathroom-best idea!
Um, I'm a blueberry fanatic, so this is the biggest tease of my life. I want to eat my computer. Ug. I'm so sad blueberry season is over-it's the only bad thing about fall coming.
(Well and Sam leaving me and going to school).