Monday, September 14, 2009

Ryan's Stainless Steel Kingdom

Ryan has taken a liking to the "I Spy" books as of late. He loves to stare at the clever pictures and find every single object. This particular page of a futuristic space city (made out of kitchen gadgets) inspired him to make his own. So I got out a bunch of stainless steel items in our kitchen and he started building. It was pretty amazing what he came up with! And he had an elaborate story about what each structure did. Very cool.

laboratory/testing facility

spaceship landing pad

And these are astronauts generating power from an enormous gem inside the "bubble."
I thought this was a great way to spend an afternoon- a perfect, inexpensive, creative project for a child. It was tons of fun to watch as he kept adding and rearranging. He even let his sisters help! I let him leave it out on the kitchen table for a few days and we ate out on the balcony instead.

7 comments:

Rachel said...

Wow, this is mind blowing. You have a genius in your home. I'm astounded.

A.Jean said...

Ryan, this looks awesome. Looks like a great book series and one to tickle your imagination. I'm also impressed that there's so many stainless items in the kitchen.

Cormorant said...

What fun! It's things like this that make you really impressed with your children--what creativity. Maybe he'll grow up to be an architect or an engineer or something.

Jennifer and Jacob said...

There is some serious creative thinking going on in the Grimmius household :) I want to do a set up myself!

The Seaquist Family said...

I think I am just as impressed that you had that much stuff to give him. My kids could build a plastic city....but I don't think they would get very far with stainless steel. Great city.

Mimi said...

Genius.

Chelsea said...

Marisa = cooooool mom.