Monday, September 21, 2009

A Trip to Southern Utah

Last weekend, we took a trip down South to visit our old stomping grounds. Shan and I first met in Cedar City over 14 years ago!!! After church on Sunday, we took the kids up the canyon to see Cedar Breaks and around the SUU campus and our old apartments. It was lots of fun... nothing has changed very much at all and I remember how exciting everything seemed when we were there. (There is nothing like twitterpation to make you think everything is just fantastic. I was basically living in a dump with 5 crazy girls, I was a telemarketer, and I still barely had enough money to eat, but did I care? Of course not- I had Shan.)
Cedar Breaks
This little fella came out to greet us when we pulled in. I think he was looking for treats.

I caught Shan and Madeline in a candid moment of playing "nibble the cheeks."
We told the kids to turn around and pose- notice how Ryan is totally bent forward. It's pretty much torture for a kid with anxiety to be on the edge of a very steep cliff with no guard rail, and have to sit and take a picture. Naughty parents.

We are suckers for Old Glory. Isn't she beautiful?

And our little friend came out to say good-bye when we were getting in the car. So cute. But stay your distance little guy. It's all fun and games until you bite someone's finger off.

So the real reason we went South was to visit Shan's grandparents. We love them so dearly and it was great to be able to see them again. It was apparently a pretty big weekend in Parowan, since the Fair was there, and everyone was home for the event. The kids tried to ferris wheel and only poor Madeline (who wanted to get off after it started) stayed on with Shan. Lets just say that the petting zoo is more our style. We were also able to see cousins, aunts, uncles, in-laws, and even a new boyfriend. Thanks Shelly and fam.

5 comments:

A.Jean said...

I'm sure Bobba and Poppa enjoyed seeing all your smiling faces. The scenery pix are great. The Holland cousins are visiting all the Nat'l parks and such out West. They headed to the Olympic peninsula then down the WA,OR coast. I think the Redwoods and crossing over to NV, UT, AZ. Worked out nice for them as the cousin's they're traveling with are newly retired and wanting to share the experience.

Cormorant said...

Isn't being a telemarketer one of the worst things in the world? I know, I was one for 9 WHOLE DAYS!

Looks like a great trip. (It was fun seeing you and fam the other day!)

Foote Family said...

I'm glad you had a great trip! I did telemarketing for about three weeks as a temp job, trying to get people to refinance their mortgages. I hated it!!! I guess having Duane wasn't enough for me to be happy with the work:(.

Chelsea said...

Ooh, these are great Marisa! I love the ones of Shan and Madeline. So sweet. And I love Ryan leaning forward. Smart kid.

Peggy said...

I LOVE your write-ups about everything. The starving student courtship days (telemarketer??? Jade can relate), the cute,rabid, chipmunk, and I about passed out laughing at little Ryan's bent- over body. Adorable shots of Maddie and her dad. I'm waiting for a re-visit pic of you and Shan at Angel's Landing.
Your visit to Bobs and Pops put a sparkle in their lives for sure.