Monday, June 2, 2008

What an Adventure!

We arrived safely to North Carolina last Tuesday night. We finally have Internet access and I'm starting to catch up on my long list of things to do. Here is a little picture play by play of our trip across the country. All in all, things went really well. I seriously can't imagine three kids who are better travelers than mine. It makes me feel sort of guilty when I realize just how much practice they have had. But anyway, I was grateful to them and to my awesome in-laws who chaperoned us the whole way and put up with occasional bickering from the back.


The lowrider
The Navigators

Wyoming

















For Gramma Alice

We had crazy weather pretty much across the country and I think it must have followed us from Kansas to NC.
To be honest, Kansas was pretty terrifying. We found ourselves in the middle of rain, wind, and hail, and in an alley of developing tornadoes, with nowhere to pull off. The announcer on the radio kept advising travelers on I-70 to "seek shelter immediately," but I'm not kidding when I say there was NO shelter for miles. It's Kansas, for Pete's Sake. Anyway, Ryan reminded us that we should say a prayer and I think He heard our prayer. About five minutes after we came out of the worst part, we heard a tornado had touched down right where we were, but we just kept driving as fast as the Sienna could go. Phew.















Arkansas











































Memphis, Tennessee


















Smoky Mountains

















Wildflowers in NC. We were all pretty happy to be back on NC turf.

5 comments:

A.Jean said...

Wow, is about as close as I can come to expressing my feelings right now. You're all amazing. Thanks for the pictoral and comments. I know there's plenty work left, but so glad Doug and Peg were able to make the trek with you and the kids. I spoke with them while they were passing Pendelton last night. I love the low rider. It's a testiment for Toyota. We bought one on Sat. The Matrix would have run out of room in Jan, hint hint. Love your crew pic, what'a joy to have people volunteer and actually enjoy it, huh? Love all of you. Auntie Jean

justLorie said...

Glad you made it safely home!

Chelsea said...

Wow, what a trip. I'm so happy for you guys that you made it home safely! Good job on all the pictures. It was so fun to look through them! I can't wait to see more. Love you.

Foote Family said...

I'm glad to see that you made it safely across the country! Best wishes on settling back into life in NC!

jenae nae said...

Marisa- you are entering my territory of horrible weather - ha ha
i love the kansas story- it happens twice a week here- i can't wait to get out! it looks beautiful in nc- hope all is well with you- when will you be in utah next?