Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Our Media Is a Nightmare

The media coverage of Sarah Palin's 17-year old daughter is completely unnacceptable. Now, I will be the first one to say that the "private life" of a politician is absolutely the public's business... how a person conducts their personal life is the most accurate depiction we can get of them. We can all thank Bill Clinton, Elliot Spitzer, Larry Craig, John Edwards, and many others for their fine examples of personal morality. But, politicians' children have always been off-limits and rightly so. The children certainly didn't sign up for their every move to be scrutinized- they aren't running for office and Ms. Palin's daughter isn't even a legal adult! While the media disappoints me, I'm not surprised. The story was just too irresistable for them to pass up. Ratings speak louder than integrity and that is the reality of our media today. I saw it firsthand at one of the largest broadcasting companies in the world, and it is the very reason I felt compelled to leave journalism back in 2000.

I say three cheers for the Palins and their complete devotion to their pro-life principles. Here is a family that walks the walk, even when it may be embarrassing or inconvenient. Don't you just wonder how many senator's daughters have chosen abortion to avoid the very public humiliation we are now throwing at Bristol and her family? As if it isn't hard enough for this teenage girl to figure out a life that is certainly coming at her faster than she had hoped. There is right and there is wrong, and this my friends, is simply wrong.

Edit update: This lady says it better than I did. Check out this article:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,416102,00.html

5 comments:

A.Jean said...

I too am appalled by the media frenzy surround Bristol Palin. If I could see one of the nosey reporters getting a lightening bolt blast 'em, I'm afraid I'd just have to applaud and enjoy the moment. I also agree that a politician has to be ready for whatever comes their way, but there children shouldn't have to endure the scrutiny. I also applaud the Palin family for their love and support of Bristol.

FYI, Bill met Mayor Sarah Palin about a half dozen times, while he was working to set up the new Job Corps in Alaska, in the '90's. Alaskan politics are quite different, from here in the contiguous United States. That being said, I won't go there (politically speaking). If there are negatives to come out, they're fair game, but again, the children are off limits. No doubt there are plenty snoops in Alaska, as I write.

I trust the family love will get Bristol and her baby through what must be like living in a horror movie. Jean

Foote Family said...

Well said!! I was just talking to Duane about this after watching the Today Show last night. Yes, we watch it live at 8pm. I couldn't believe the constant question as to why this wasn't mentioned when she was announced as the VP nominee. HELLO!!! What business does it have in that speach?! She is only 17!! I'm just glad we are limited on our news coverage here.

Peggy said...

I agree. They (media) just can't leave it alone. It's just disheartening to watch Viera's smug little face as she asked Giuliani her "hard hitting" questions that "deserve to be answered" because "inquiring minds want to know". She knows as do all the other sharks, just how to frame the question so that no matter how it's answered, the negative slant is already implied.I'd have so much more respect for the media if they showed respect and restraint and actually had some scruples about reporting facts that mattered and truths that truly moved our society forward.
Hey Jean, I wondered if Bill had crossed paths with Sarah Palin in all his Alaskan forays.

Cormorant said...

I completely agree! What do these reporters stand to gain from snooping around in the life of a 17-year-old? It is COMPLETELY inappropriate. It reminds me of the "reporters" at the Olympics who would interrogate the runners (who thought they had won a medal) right after they found out they were disqualified for stepping on the white line. They'd ask things like, "How do you feel?" I mean, give me a break. The guy was just celebrating his win and running around the stadium with a flag on his back and someone tells him he's out. How the heck would you feel!?

Anyway, I liked Obama's response to the media frenzy. See it here:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/01/obama.palin/index.html

Chelsea said...

I'm totally with you.